Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Worse Than Labor

We've been doing battle with ice on the driveway for three days. I put down salt several times, and yesterday morning Ivy and I chipped away ice for an hour. This is all in the name of "Bethany already slipped on the ice once this year."

After I picked Ivy up from school we went and picked out her new ballet schools. We came home, I put the car in the garage and I walked down the driveway to get the mail. Right at the end of the driveway, by the mailbox, I slipped on the ice and fell. As I was going down I thought "don't put your arm out!!! Don't put your arm out!!!" Instinct took over, and I landed with my right arm outstretched and my palm flat on the ground. I thought for a second, maybe it was just sprained. But as soon as I looked at it I knew it was broken.

I took my phone out of my pocket and called Jeremy and work. Crying, maybe in hysterics, told him to come home. He hard a hard time understanding what I was saying "you did what?" "where are you?" "should I come home?" So I stood up, got the mail, and all that was there was the cub coupon book! I sat on the couch crying, I told Ivy to put her shoes on and go get Nikki.

A couple of minutes later Sam came over, he said Ivy looked scared and said "My mom is having a baby, come over!" Sam convinced me that I couldn't wait for Jeremy to get home. So he drove me to the hospital and Nikki watched the kids. Jeremy met me at the hospital.

I got right in, I guess when you walk in begging for pain killers they take you right back. They gave me a dose of pain medicine, took some x-rays, gave me more medication and put my arm in a splint. The ER doctor didn't even set it, he said even if he did set it I'd probably need surgery anyway.

So I have some Percocet and a surgical consultation this afternoon. Surgery is tentative for Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. I started crying for you. :'(

    Poor Ivy - Isn't it amazing when our little kids are put into "big-kid" shoes - how well they do? I am still amazed at how cooperative & Helpful Hayley was each time Hannah needed to go to the hospital.

    I'm sort of bummed a baby didn't come out in the end! :)

    Make sure to get a purple cast & I'll come over with my Gold Sharpie Paint-marker & we'll take care of business

    ReplyDelete