Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas #25

I do so well blogging every day if I have a list. So, here's my list of Christmas traditions and memories.

25. Lefse!! For as long as I can remember, we've had lefse at Christmas. In fact, I remember eating only rice and lefse for many Christmas Eve dinners.

For those who don't know, lefse is a potato dough rolled out and cooked on a griddle like a very thin pancake. Jeremy's family said it tastes like a potato tortilla and dared to suggest eating it with salsa instead of butter and sugar.

This will be my first year making lefse alone. I'm using my Aunt Jolene's recipe. These are the instructions I have so far. I need to buy potatoes.

Lefse Recipe from Jolene Olson

Note: Cook the potatoes the night before you plan to make lefse.

8 cups riced white russet potatoes (5 pounds of potatoes makes approximately 8 cups riced potatoes)
1/3 cup cream
1/3 cup butter
1 1/2 tbs. salt

Cook 5 pounds of potatoes in enough water to cover about 1/2 inch over the potatoes.
Rinse and rice.
Put the riced potatoes in a large bowl and add cream, butter, and salt while potatoes are still hot. Refrigerate covered until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment