Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Car Seat Inspection

I can not say enough good things about EMS Captain and "Car Seat Inspector" Malissa Radanke at the Mdewakanton Emergency Services in Prior Lake.

Officer Maureen O'Heir couldn't see us for a while, so I emailed info@shakopeedakota.org and got an email from Malissa the next morning offering to check out my less than stellar attempt at installing the two convertible seats in the back row.

In her email, she said to call for an appointment. So I did. We were in the car, backing out of the driveway to go to a play date. She was available Thursday afternoon, but we'd be playing. How about Friday morning? She won't be in until afternoon--we're going to Alexandria. How about right now? So we detoured on the way to our play date to have the car seats checked out.

I know the technique for installing the car seats, but this preggo belly just wouldn't let me heft my knee up into the car seats to jam them into the backseat. And then I just couldn't figure out how to get the seats TIGHT in the seat belt.

RANT: Why don't minivans have MORE anchor and tether spots? And why only one in the back? Minivans should hold five car seats!! We're going to have to rethink our child-bearing ideas if only four car seats fit in this van.

Anyway, Malissa was great! She reinstalled those seats so fast and got them so tight. Now I feel like my kids are safe in the van. They've been riding around in the back seat with "loose" car seats for about a week. I had almost convinced myself that they'd fly out if I stopped too quickly. Thankfully, they didn't and now they won't.

I did have the infant seat properly installed and tightened and leveled. "Third time's a charm!"

So, if anyone around Prior Lake needs a car seat inspection, contact Malissa. She's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment