MEET THE TEACHER (last Wednesday)
We walked over to meet Ivy's teacher, Mrs. Houck, and to drop off her school supplies. Mrs. Houck seems super nice and has been really interested in learning more about Ivy.
Ivy & Mrs. Houck
Ivy after filling up her desk. She'll sit in a cluster of six desks. There aren't any kids in her class from kindergarten, even though a few kids from her K class are at Grainwood. She said today, "I don't have any First Grade Friends yet."
A little ice cream after meeting her teacher.
FIRST DAYSchool starts at 8:30, and as a "walker," she doesn't have to leave until 8:20 or so. Jeremy stayed home to walk with us over there.
Getting ready to leave
Walking down the block
Hot Sunny morning
We got to the school, and Ivy asked me to walk back to her class with her. She said, "Mom, I'm a little scared." So I signed in and walked her back there. But then she gave me a kiss and didn't want me to go into the classroom. I did help her get her locker open.
I told her that the kids and I would be waiting for her in the driveway when she walked home in the afternoon. She was excited to walk alone.
While Ivy was in class, I "snuck" in and decorated her locker for her. Honestly, it hadn't occurred to me before this morning. Our friend gave her some picture-frame magnets, but I can't find pictures that fit in them.
And she's home! We were waiting for her outside--Jamey was playing with the hose. But then, he wanted to walk up to the school to meet Ivy. So we did. When Ivy came out of the gym, she said, "I thought I was going to walk alone." Later she said she was excited to see us, but wanted to walk alone, too. She's going to meet up with a neighbor friend (a 5th grader!) tomorrow morning to walk together.
- She ate almost a whole hot dog on a bun and an apple and chocolate milk for lunch. And Cheez-Its for snack. At lunch, she has to sit at Table 10, 11, or 12. She said she sat by a boy--she didn't know his name--maybe he's in her class.
- They toured the school looking for Clifford.
- The library "was very quiet" and has computers.
- At first she said she was the only girl in her class, but then laughed and said there are 12.
- Three bathroom breaks.
- In the morning, they "learned all about what they're going to do in school" and had Circle Meeting.
- Recess was inside because it was too hot to play outside.
- The only thing she didn't like was "all the loud noises and beeps." From her description, it sounds like an PA system and maybe some doors have alarms on them.
- Her overall assessment: "It was AWESOME!!"
We celebrated her first day with dinner out wherever she wanted: Chipotle!