Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Conan O'Brien and Simon Helberg on Home Birth

On January 31, Simon Helberg from the Big Bang Theory was a guest on Conan. I've linked the full episode here, because it looks like there isn't a clip of just Simon's interview.

Simon & Conan's conversation about home birth is still irritating me days later.

First of all, I'm irritated by Simon's comments that "we've evolved now, we can go to the hospital to have a baby."
Home Birth is Safe
Home Birth avoids Unnecessary Interventions
Home Birth allows a Woman to Give Birth as Nature Intended  
Home Birth is not Weird 

Second, I feel a little sad for his wife, Jocelyn Towne. I have no idea how their conversations went, but on the show, it sounded like Simon bullied his wife into a hospital birth. I hope that's not the case and that she is getting a birth experience she wants.


Third, it's unfortunate that Simon's careless comments will affect how Conan's viewers perceive home birth.


  • Ah, I had temporarily forgotten that Simon Helberg knows Mayim Bialik. I bet he hears about home birth all the time. And I'm glad! I feel less compelled to write anything about it. In fact, I'm not going to write anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment