Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Changing a setting in Google Reader

While I like Google products (reader, calendar, maps, docs), I think Google caters to developers. It's nearly impossible for "regular people" to change settings. If you can't immediately find it, it's hidden somewhere. And you have to be a developer to understand the lingo and know where to find whatever. And if you make the mistake of asking for help, you have to hire a translator to sort through the 9000 words of programese.

Thankfully, I live with a developer who is usually able to solve all of my computer problems.

So, my latest problem is that when I'm reading through my blog subscriptions using Google Reader on the iPhone, the links were opening in Reader and were formatted all crazy (instead of opening on the actual website).


  1. On the Google Reader page, I clicked the Settings Sprocket icon on the right side of the page.
  2. Click Reader Settings.
  3. Click the Goodies folder tab at the top of the page.
  4. Scroll down to USE READER ON YOUR PHONE and click the link.
    • A new page opens.
  5. Click Settings.
  6. Deselect "Reformat linked web pages for mobile browsers."
  7. Click Save. 
And now links in blogs open up on their own web page instead of in Reader. This is very similar or the exact same thing to when articles open in Facebook instead of just opening the website. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment