Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Homemade Coffee Creamer

Jeremy sent me a link to homemade coffee creamer. I can't find the actual link now, but thankfully, I had copied the recipes. I'm well-known in my own head for losing links, so I email myself almost everything, because then at least I know it's in an email somewhere.

I drink a lot of coffee. And I love creamer. Sometimes, we're not super excited about all the chemical though. I don't think there's actually any milk or dairy product in Carnation creamer. But adding some peppermint mocha creamer to a cup of hot coffee is the best part of waking up somedays.

The recipe makes two cups of creamer, so we picked up pint-sized Mason jars. The creamer fits exactly, and because the jars came in a four pack, I can have four different flavors of creamer to choose from.

I made two different ones on Saturday: Vanilla and Chocolate Almond.

There is a base recipe and then you can add whatever flavor you want.

1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
4 T real maple syrup (I might leave that out next time--it's 57 grams of sugar I don't think is necessary)

Mix all that in a saucepan over medium heat until it starts to steam. That means like 3 minutes. It doesn't mean walk away at all. Stir it the whole time. Take it off the heat and add flavors.

Chocolate Almond: 2 Tb cocoa powder & 1 tsp almond extract
Vanilla: 1 Tb vanilla or 1 vanilla bean
Cinnamon Strudel: 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon & 2 tsp vanilla & 1 tsp almond extract
Peppermint Mocha: 3 Tb cocoa powder & 1 tsp peppermint extract
Pumpkin Spice: 3 Tb pureed pumpkin & 1 tsp pumpkin spice & 1 tsp vanilla

We have guessed that you have to steam it for the cream and milk to mix properly--otherwise would they separate in the fridge?

I think the almond is strong in the chocolate almond, but the vanilla one is great!

1 comment:

  1. We need jars that are easier to poor. The first time I made a mess, the second time I dirtied two spoons...

    ReplyDelete