Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The "Second Shift"

I read this short article on Facebook the other day, and the comments got heated pretty quickly. It's all about how housework and taking care of the kids shouldn't be called work or the "second shift."

Because I don't work, I don't know that I'm qualified to talk about this.

What I will say is that I don't think I work. Work is something you get paid for. I've made a conscience decision to stay home. This isn't working; it's living. Everyone has to do laundry and make meals and bathe their kids.

I sometimes think that women who call Staying at Home "work" (as in, I'm the CEO of my family or "I do work; I just don't get paid") feel like staying at home isn't "worthy" or something. That they have to be "working" to be worthwhile. I don't know if this is true, but I don't understand why you would call staying at home work.

No comments:

Post a Comment